Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pink and Blues is not Just Black and White


An image of a boy who likes to wear
dresses: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag
es?q=tbn:AN9GcRWZAlAC-jIL-eZV5jB7GuQV2TqU5zaNu
wHIf_BucfUaoqe-oGj
The dress. Upon seeing this word, the mind is bombarded with a plethora of images of dress, and the majority of people would imagine the dress on a women. A dress (including its cousin, the skirt) is the ultimate symbol of femininity, of womanhood, and nothing else. But why else would we think otherwise? We were raised with the idea that dresses and skirts go hand in hand with a woman wearing it (unless we’re talking about kilts, then that’s a whole other conversation) we would see such examples in places such as movies, advertisements, and toys, all have been branded into our minds since early childhood. Bennhold claims that “mothers play a key role in nurturing stereotypes that later in life become one of the most stubborn barriers to gender equality, with cascading implications for women’s interests, skills and status in society.” (1)
It is hard to hammer down the fact that, times they are a changing, and such stories and articles like “Toys Start the Gender Equality Rift,” (Bennhold) “What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?” (Padawer) and “It's OK to Be Neither: Teaching That Supports Gender-Variant Children” (Tempel), are examples of how societies are growing in both awareness and acceptance of people that do not fit into the age old image of “normal.” (Though it can be argued that there is no such thing as “normal.”) even though I have never paid much attention to the affects of toys, labels and clothing that appear in the development of a young child’s life, I am now aware of impacted, and depth of the impact, it has on others and, to a further extent, myself.
still shot from the movie Tomboy (2011):
 http://www.artsquest.org/images/film/tomboy.jpg
Upon the research and class discussion of the gender topic, it has provoked the internal thought of how I as a female fell in these barriers. Well, for one, do not enjoy the color pink; I don’t really fall into the girly side of the spectrum the authors criticizing. (Padawer 1) After a deep inflection I realized probably why I was not as girly as some of my cousin, friends and girl classmates are. Growing up I spent the majority of my time playing with my older brother, two years my senior, participating in activities that were based on what he wanted to; he did not want to play Barbie’s with me. (Probably because he had already succumbed too his gender stereotypes) I had no problem playing whatever he wanted to, I really didn’t know any better. I recall playing with Legos, Bionicles, and G. I. Joes (boy, did he love his G. I. Joes). Also a majority of the time, as we grew, I spent many a days just watching my brother play video games. I had watched him play so much that I was able to walk his friend through beating a certain level of the Legend of Zelda. Some say I was a tom boy at the time, I just saw it as that I had a great fondness for overalls. But what, I guess, seemed to have “balanced me out” on this spectrum was the hand-me-downs I had received over the years from my older cousins. I would receive skirts and dresses as well as Barbie’s and a kitchen set from my older cousin Bridget, (who was as girl as they came). Nevertheless, I recall a time were I began wear more and more dresses more and more often as I went through elementary school; due to the fact that my older cousin, whom i greatly admired, had given me new waves upon waves of dresses in the hand-me-down bag that had made its way to my house every few months.
As a female, I understand the examples and ideals that I am supposed to live up to.  However it also in itself is a hindrance, because it makes it all the more difficult to understand those of the opposite sex who enjoy partaking in the wearing of feminine garment; skirts and dresses. Before reading Padawer’s article, the thought really had never crossed my mind of young boys, especially at the age of four, would have the want to wear and do what would be considered as feminine things. (Padawer 1) despite the fat that was initially shocked by the idea of a gender variant child, I feel that there really is not problem with is; it’s hard for male to express who they are and feel like especially with the pressures of society these days.
Nevertheless, as previously stated, I seem to be a victim, of such stereotypes while growing-up. During and after reading these articles, I noticed a common theme in my thought process: how would I apply this as a mother. It must just be the stereotype in me talking, but once I had read these works I had thought to myself on multiply occasions where I battled between the thoughts of “this is just to out there for me” and “maybe I should do that?” and to be frank I really don’t think I should be making that decision just yet. I discussed these articles with one of my close friends and she too had not really put into thought the actual pressures that exist amongst young children.
Laura nelson, a neuroscientist, wanted to break down such pressure for both male and females by leading a campaign against the gender sorting at Hamleys, a London toy store. Nelson made the observation that “Until the toys themselves and the marketing are tackled, there will always be pressure. On girls and boys to pursue the route in life consistent with their stereotype.” (qtd. In Bennhold 2) this claim by nelson really highlights how the pressure exist even in the in a toy store; though one can argue that nelson is taking the fun and innocence of a toy store and drag it to a sinister and negative play. I'm sure form the toy store’s points of view, as well as any other toy store, that they are just doing as others have done before them; “Toy makers may then have an incentive to follow.” (Bennhold 2)
In Tempel’s article, she gave a list of choices between certain options: “Skateboard or bike? Milk or juice? Dogs or cats? A hot day or a snow day? Fiction or nonfiction? Soccer or basketball? A beach or a pool? ” (Tempel 2-3). Like her students in her class, I partook in the choosing of the choices Tempel had given: bike, juice, snow day, fiction, basketball, and beach. This of course sparked the thought of which of each choice is boy and which girl? Is there a boy and a girl choice? Which then sparked the thoughts of, how somethings just don’t have a gender association to them?
The world is not full of just black and white situations, their are many grey areas. in these cases of kids bending the gender roles, they are living proof of a grey area by not choosing whether they would want to live a pink or blue life.

No comments:

Post a Comment