Tuesday, December 18, 2012

College Unnecessary



       Growing up as a kid I have always been told by parents, family members, and teachers to stay in school, get good grades, then go on to college. They made me believe that to live a happy life you have to go to college. In order to get a good job you must get degrees and have a great education. On TV there are commercials saying that people with a college education make on average one million dollars more a life time than a person that doesn't have one. My entire life I been having this pressure on me to get into college or I would not have the future I want to have.
  I understand that it is important to get a higher education and be able to get a job that pays well. Although, I don’t think that the pressure on kids while they are young is necessary.  I’m saying that college is not a must to be a successful person and to live a comfortable lifestyle.
Seems like parents see college as being the only way to being successful in life. I feel like kids that don't get into college feel like they disappointed their parents and feel like a failure. Every parent wants their children to have a bright future but the pressure that the put on kids is too much for some to handle. Parents are kind of forcing their children into the kind of people they want them to be in the future instead of letting the kids themselves decide the type of life they want to live.
Most parents believe that by going to college you will be getting a well-paying job and live a happy life. In reality, there are some people with degrees and is still having trouble finding jobs in their field of study. College is a great way to get a job that pays well but it is not guaranteed that everyone in college will get a job right after they graduate.
             Some people go to college only thinking about getting a job that pays well. A few years later they are unhappy because they don’t like their job. There are many people that love their job and have never been to college. For example, my mother works in a hospital and she is very happy that she has a job that she has always wanted since she was young. In my eyes she is successful because she wakes up every day doing what she loves to do, and she didn't need a college education to achieve that goal. On the other hand my neighbor Paul just graduated from college with a degree in education two years ago and is now teaching in an elementary school. He likes teaching and helping kids but it still was not what he has expected and is now not liking his job.
Yes, there are many college graduates that are now living very happy and have a really great amount of income to live a comfortable life. However, I think that there should not be so much pressure on young people into going to college because it is kind of telling them the type of life they should live. Not everybody likes to sit in a classroom and being lectured. Even if the person does not use the degree they were still pressured on going to college for four years to work for that degree. Young people should live whatever kind of life they want to as long as their happy.
People should only focus on college if they really want to have a career that requires a degree. The problem is that people are being pressured into doing something that they don’t want to do and end up miserable when they are older. I personally do not find anything wrong with people choosing not to go to college. Technical schools are popular and offer great careers that most colleges don’t offer.
College is good; it gives people the chance to get a degree to help them get a well-paying job in the field that they are interested in. It also, gives people a higher education and that is something nobody can take away for another person. College is very useful but my statement that it shouldn't be viewed as a must in the United States. I believe that college should be viewed as a useful tool to have a good living income wise. However, it shouldn't be viewed as the option to living a happy life.

1 comment:

  1. I decided to publish this article because I thought that this was the article that I was most interested. I really wanted to reach out to the reader in this essay. The main reason why I came to college was because my parents and family members has always been putting the idea of college in my head since i was a kid. I hope this article can change at least one person's view on college.

    ReplyDelete